6.07.2008

Emily's Heart




Where do I begin with our sweet Emily? She is such a light in our lives and we are so incredibly blessed to have her as a daughter. There are many things about her that make me beam with pride - she's sooooooo smart (gets that from her daddy), is doing very well in piano and singing, and is extremely talented in drawing. But, what more than anything, makes this mom's heart overflow with love and thanksgiving for her daughter? Her heart. Her beautiful, pure, compassionate heart. I'll share a story with you that made me more proud of her than I've ever been. A couple weeks ago we were on our way to her school for all the K-1 students to do a performance for their families. A thought suddenly hit her and she said "Hey! why don't the kids with Down syndrome get to sing with us? I know they are in the same grade as us." I told her I had just had the same thought minutes earlier. Why weren't they being included? They were just as capable of singing and dancing as the rest of the kids and their parents would love to see them perform. She then said, "It's just not fair! They can learn just as much as we can; it just might take them a little longer and who cares anyway if it's not exactly right. We could have helped them do it." She was just so passionate about this and was truly bothered by the injustice of it all. Maybe she'll grow up to be a social worker like her mom and dad. Who knows? All I know is this girl has an amazing heart and we are so blessed.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Go Emily!!! You can just tell she's gonna be a world changer!! Love you Emily!

Mrs. Garner said...

Hey this kid knows which way is up! Good for her. I think that the coming generations won't be as full of preconceived notions of what DS kiddos can do. Good for Emily for voicing her thoughts!