Well, we've survived 3 weeks and have a few changes to report. Dennis is still head of the English teachers at the secondary school but they have allowed him to cut back on his hours. He's now working half days 4 days a week and all day on Thursdays. This has been a lot better for us as a family. We needed him here more and everyone seems to be adjusting better now. Benji's behavior has improved and Emily continues to do well. She even met a new friend from Australia and attended her first sleepover! We toured the bilingual school and got an overview of the curriculum last Saturday. While we believe she would have learned Chinese very quickly there, we feared she would fall behind in other subjects. It's also a very long school day (7:50-5:20) and 3rd graders actually have nap time! After looking at all of our options, we felt home educating would be best for her and Benjamin. So, I am developing Benji's curriculum and we will use a private online school for Emily. As soon as we get a printer she can take a placement test so we can determine her grade level, then we'll get started!
Our variety of foods has improved and now we are eating pb&j in addition to the noodles (baby steps)! Benji and I have had some tummy problems probably due to something we ate but we are feeling better this week. Emily just started feeling icky today and Dennis has a stomach of steel! The good news is that with all of the walking and limited food, we've all lost a little weight.
Tomorrow we will go talk with the family that runs Swallows Nest (www.swallowsnestzz.org) and I will then be able to evaluate some of the children and show the staff some techniques to help encourage the development of these beautiful little ones. I'm in the process of asking some US companies to donate some equipment and/or developmental toys to them and have had 1 company agree already! If you know any places that might be willing to donate, please let me know. It really is a wonderful organization that is helping children that otherwise would not have a chance.
People still stare a lot but we are getting used to it now. They stare at Benji more than the rest of us. A couple of days ago we were out on the street waiting for the bus and an older man actually came up to Benji, took his hat off and got right in his face to look at him. He then put Benji's hat back on and started talking to me in Chinese. I told him in Chinese I didn't understand and he walked off. We are assuming people can tell that he looks different and they are not used to seeing people with disabilities. It could also be that they know parents don't abandon boys unless they are disabled and once they see him with us they know he's adopted and are trying to figure out what is "wrong with him". I guess it's good that they are seeing him out in public, functioning just like all the other kids but sometimes I feel like they treat him like a zoo animal, stopping in their tracks to get a good look. Between that and people tugging on Emily's hair, we really do feel like foreigners!
Despite all of my grumblings lately, we really do have some things that we are thankful for:
*new friends*
*an opportunity to serve God's precious children*
*a chance to experience being a minority so we can better empathize with others*
*skype so we can see and talk to our family and friends*
*becoming closer to each other and to God*
If you have a webcam, look us up on Skype (Dennis.Feaster). We are 12 hours ahead of Eastern time.
Until next time......
Sarah
3 comments:
Praise God for friends, food and the little things coming your way!
Poor Benji...I'm afraid Yan would have bopped the guy if he took her hat.
I know this is trying...praying Feasters!
Sarah,
I am glad to hear you all are well. Are you in need of a care package yet?
The Eith's
Feaster's
Glad to hear things are getting better.I agree that downsyndrome people should run the world .They would be sensitive,gentle and loving, a lot more understanding.
We are praying for you.GOD BLESS.
shaker.
Post a Comment