1.17.2009

It's Official; we're moving to China!!!!

It's still hard to believe as I type these words, but it's true...we are moving to China. We will be moving in August to Zhengzhou (pronounced Jung-Jo), China in Henan province. Dennis will be working with an orphanage there to complete his dissertation. He'll be adapting a trauma based intervention to be used with orphaned and abandoned children who have experienced complex trauma. Emily will likely be attending an international school where she will learn in Chinese and English. Dennis and I will be home educating Benjamin, and all of us will be serving and loving orphans in any way God makes possible.

Please help support our family by including us in your prayers. We would appreciate it so much. Here are some specific things we are praying for:

1. Benji - that God will prepare his heart and mind for the big life change that is about to happen, that he will understand that we are leaving this house forever and that we will be making a new home (in his birth country!!), that he will adjust to homeschooling, and that he will open Chinese hearts and minds to the blessing a child with Down syndrome brings. I'm fairly certain that all they'll have to do is spend 5 minutes with him to see that Down syndrome rocks!!

2. Emily - that she will continue to learn Mandarin quickly, that she will be able to say goodbye to her friends and family (especially cousin Laura) without too much heartache, that she will make new friends quickly, and that through her friendship to orphans she will continue to develop into a compassionate, selfless young lady.

3. Dennis - that he will continue to excel in speaking and understanding Mandarin, that God will give him a clear vision of how to complete his dissertation and that He will connect him to just the right people and places to serve "the least of these"

4. Sarah - that she will continue to learn and retain Mandarin, that she will be a strength and comforter to her children who will likely be grieving soon, that God will use her to show the neediest of orphans what a mother's love can feel like

5. That we will sell our house before we go (this is a big one).

Thanks for sharing in this excitement with us and we'll keep you updated as we know more.

Love,
Sarah, Dennis, Emily and Benji

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow, WOW, WOOOOOOOWWWW!!! I'm almost sobbing with joy for you! I am so happy that you are finally getting the desires of your heart!

Please let me know what I can do to help...did you find any curriculums yet?

I cannot wait to hear more details. We will be praying!!!

The Feasters said...

Thanks so much Jenn for your enthusiasm and support. I need to get moving on planning Benji's home education program and will be contacting you soon for some help!
-Sarah

Green Fab 4 said...

SARAH!! Oh my! I am so thrilled and envious and excited and emotional for your family and this new journey! What an answer to prayer for you guys - and what a blessing in your lives and in those to whom you will be able to minister. :) SO happy for you, friend...I'll be praying!
Lori :)

rachel, kyle, and levi anderson said...

We are praying and soooo excited for all of you! We need to make plans to come and see you soon and do something fun with the kids. Keep us up to date with the whole process so we can continue this journey with you through prayer! Give Benji and Emily a big hug and kiss for me. Love yall!

~ ThE RiChiNs KrEw ~ said...

I am (joyfully) crying for you and your family! What an exciting time! We will continue to pray for all of you and for the house to sell! :) Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your family!! Will keep you all in my prayers and can't wait to see you soon when you have a chance to stop by Hong Kong. Lots of love, Stella